Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When do you call it a day?

+3
Ashley
Macster
Lawson
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1When do you call it a day? Empty When do you call it a day? Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:34 am

Lawson

Site Founder
Site Founder

When do you call it a day and decide to close down a forum?

http://adminsbox.co.cc

2When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:24 pm

Macster

Macster
Administrator
Administrator

When the last line of defense does not work... and that usually means all staff bailed, or the co-founder did not help...

I hate when staff bail, and it was of no reason of my own, and they all told me it, and it was because of the co-admin or a certain staff member the co-admin had on his list..

It sucked, but I couldn't stop them as it was their choice not mine.. I stick to my forums until the last end.

3When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Lawson

Site Founder
Site Founder

I know it's not all simple but you can't exactly have all staff given up not unless your community is still small like this community, if your community is big and all staff put a haule to their job's, well then I guess your going to need to tweak about with the looks and see the exact reason's why they left and how you could improve that. I have found myself creating a board on a very boring Sunday and halfway through installing a theme and evantually you get sick and tired and give up, I have known many administrator's that have done this.

4When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Ashley

Ashley
New to A-Box

I would probably call it a day when I find out that I or anyone else is not showing interest in my site, then I might shut down and either try something else, or give up running a site all together. It all depends.

5When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Lawson

Site Founder
Site Founder

What I am interested in is, why would you call it a quit's if one person was to quit, why?
You can't let them bring you down not unless you decide to actually create a forum with them but just run it in the same text and format as them and get some user's to help you around. You will get respected for releasing that board, and not the other user.

6When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Ashley

Ashley
New to A-Box

Lawson wrote:What I am interested in is, why would you call it a quit's if one person was to quit, why?
You can't let them bring you down not unless you decide to actually create a forum with them but just run it in the same text and format as them and get some user's to help you around. You will get respected for releasing that board, and not the other user.

Well, this post is kind of confusing me, but I think I get where you're going with this. If my co-administrator were to up and quit on me (or any staff for that matter) I probably could continue running the forum on my own, as I run a general chat board, and we're pretty laid-back. So... err, I don't know how else to explain it, I guess.

7When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Lawson

Site Founder
Site Founder

Ye, I do completely understand as when I try to understand myself I get a wee tatty bit confused. I was trying to explain if loosing one staff member - why quit, but I would understand if it was a co-administrator and he knew the basic coding and design exterior.

8When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Ashley

Ashley
New to A-Box

Lawson wrote:Ye, I do completely understand as when I try to understand myself I get a wee tatty bit confused. I was trying to explain if loosing one staff member - why quit, but I would understand if it was a co-administrator and he knew the basic coding and design exterior.

Well, my co-administrator does know more coding and more about installing mods than I do, so if he did up and quit, then I'd probably be upset, but after that, I would try to find someone who had just as much (if not more) knowledge than he did. As far as general board running, that I could do myself.

9When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Macster

Macster
Administrator
Administrator

It's always good to start a forums with at least two people as this creates a more stable environment allowing for one person to do something while the other contributes their work somewhere else on the forums.

Now with that being said, you can open a forums by yourself if you have the knowledge needed to get it going, but at the same time, it's always good to have someone else who may know the same amount of information or a person who can code and or design for you.

Designers are a dime a dozen, but
finding the right one to help out is harder.

10When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Forbidden Words

Forbidden Words
Getting There

I think its when, everyone else seems to have gone. XD

http://www.animalcrossingclub.co.nr

11When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Lawson

Site Founder
Site Founder

Right I was just discussing this with my fellow collegue, Macster and I figured out this is a hard one to explain. When everyone leaves, you want to promote more? Yes ofcourse, I would. Well do that, Admin's Box has many description's to it's name and one is always to encourage a member to keep their site running with simple tips, promote and dedication, simple tips. It show's that you show no interest and have not been dedicated to your board as you should have been, so think about that, why leave if everyone else leave's and you can put time in promoting and dedicating that time into creating a great community. I know some of you will say 'Ooh, but the board is abandoned' still that's why our staff are here to help you out, so feel free to ask for our help it's what were here for.

12When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Forbidden Words

Forbidden Words
Getting There

But when everyone leaves, you feel empty and sad. You think of what's the point, they are probably gonna leave any way.

http://www.animalcrossingclub.co.nr

13When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Lawson

Site Founder
Site Founder

Right coming out with word's here, I do not like arguing but I wouldn't give up unlike what you hav viewed and opinionized yourself on, you have pinned yourself on the mark to say you would call the quits. I wouldn't I have worked on this board for a month, and it has been released for a few day's to be honest when I first got it I wrote a schedule of what to do, and I couldn't stick to one thing, what Macster said is true, having two administrator's will help create a stable enviroment while other contributes to changing the forum around and posting to keep member's amused.

Also to say your quitting show's no respect for foruming if you ever want to create a CV/Resume, you may note it down that you created a forum but quite because no one worked with me and I felt lonely and sad.

That is stopping you from having perhaps the greatest internet foruming expierence of your life, and think of the possibilities and possibly money investing you could have made, so sticking with one board is possibly a good idea and working on it from there.

14When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:39 am

Dillon

Dillon
New to A-Box

When there's no activity.

15When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:42 am

stud

stud
New to A-Box

When the forum becomes a burden or a chore and you decide it's not meeting the goals you want.

16When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:03 am

Lawson

Site Founder
Site Founder

Well that's why some of the greatest people in the web have brought to you Promotion board's with services and resources. But if people won't join they obviously don't enjoy your forum content and structure. This is when a reviewing/assessment service comes in hand or an administrator who is successful to give you tips or simply view arcticles to improve.

17When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 am

MissTake

MissTake
New to A-Box

I've come close several times, it's bloody hard work! Just when I've thought of giving it up the members post loads of stuff!

I reckon that if you haven't had anyone post or visit your site for a week then it's pretty much over but surely it's up to the admin to at least try to get people back first?

18When do you call it a day? Empty Re: When do you call it a day? Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:18 am

Macster

Macster
Administrator
Administrator

Yes if the forum starts to become a waste land, and nothing but trash coming from it, the time is needed to revamp the site and rethink on how it should work.

The admin should step up, because simply the site is not able to run itself anymore.

Staff and admins should work to bring it back, but sometimes the admins job is a little harder to get it all back together by themselves.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum